Monday 26 November 2012

Ned Kelly and Nature Watch

My local pub is an old hide out of Ned Kellys!
Ned Kelly is a famous Australian outlaw from the 1800's who fought the law!
"Edward "Ned" Kelly was an Irish Australian bushranger. He is considered by some to be merely a cold-blooded killer, while others consider him to be a folk hero and symbol of Irish Australian resistance against the Anglo-Australian ruling class."
At one point, he was the most wanted man in Australia. It was a time when the Irish were persecuted by the Anglo Australians and after a number of unfair arrests and time in prison, Ned rebelled! To summarise, there was a shoot out at one point and he shot the officers. He became a wanted man on the run. 
But he had a lot of sympathisers who supported his cause and would let him hide out in their homes and pubs. 
And The Vine, situated about 400 yards down the road, was a sympathiser! I went in on Saturday and they showed me the basement where he would hang out with the Kelly gang.
Proof!

The Vine: Room downstairs where Ned Kelly would drink


His 'Wanted' poster
Lovely Luisa by the hide out piano

Other discoveries: It's been insanely hot up here in North East Victoria. We were up to 36 degrees yesterday and it's heading that way again for Thursday. Hot weather means the bugs get bigger. I experienced the 'European' wasp yesterday. It was the size of my index finger. I screamed and ran. 
Another time I did this was today when I met a blue tongue lizard. 

And Australian TV and ads are still atrocious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment